Last update on: 9:33 am September 29, 2023 by fashionabc
Every day, approximately 95 million photos and videos are shared through Instagram. Some influencers even attract millions of followers to their accounts thanks to high-quality visual materials. After all, Instagram is all about aesthetic attractiveness and spectacular narratives.
To create a visually appealing social media account, you just need to learn some efficient Instagram photo editing techniques and use specialized mobile applications. This article provides tips and tricks for creating striking Instagram images, from picture post-production steps to advanced techniques. Read on!
How to edit photos for Instagram: a step-by-step instruction
To edit photos for Instagram and achieve desired results, start with basics like cropping and color theory. Moreover, ensure your images are high-quality since it’s hard to improve the overall look if the visual is blurred or fuzzy.
Instagram has a pre-built photo editing interface where you can make general adjustments. To access it, upload your images onto the platform and choose the “Edit” option. Follow these steps:
- Crop and straighten. Instagram’s image requirements have evolved beyond the traditional 1:1 aspect ratio (1080×1080 pixels). In 2023, you can post landscape and portrait photos, breaking away from the previous square-only format. Nonetheless, the platform still recommends maintaining a picture width of 1080 pixels to ensure optimal display quality. For portrait photos, Instagram advises using an aspect ratio of 4:5, resulting in dimensions of 1080 pixels wide and 1350 pixels tall. Landscape photos tend to look best at 1080×566 pixels, representing a ratio of 1.91:1. Before posting your photos, use the “Crop” tool to fit the graphics into these requirements. Aspiring creators also frequently have images with a tilted horizon; adjust it by straightening your visual.
- Adjust basic settings. Exposure, contrast, and saturation are essential elements that form the overall feel of your image. For example, reducing exposure can add a more atmospheric feel, while increasing saturation can help emphasize important details. In the Instagram editing workspace, you can fine-tune these settings using the corresponding tools and sliders.
- Enhance colors. Many smartphone camera photos may appear dull due to insufficient natural lighting. To make your visual more vibrant, consider color correction. Each hue consists of elements like temperature, tints, and shadows/highlights. Experimenting with these options in editing applications can significantly enhance the overall appearance of your image.
- Improve details. Some objects in your raw shots may look unclear. You can fix this using the default Instagram editor, which offers tools like “Structure”, “Fade”, “Highlights”, and “Shadows”. However, keep in mind that these options are applied to the entire image. If you need localized editing, download mobile applications or use online tools.
- Apply effects and filters. The Instagram native image editor offers plenty of ready-made visual effects and filters. These tools allow you to adjust the temperature of your shots or transform them into black-and-white.
Top Instagram photo editing tips
While the previously mentioned steps are sufficient for improving the overall look of your image, if you aspire to edit pictures for Instagram like a professional, explore artistic techniques. These techniques aim to infuse a unique vision into your visuals.
Choose a specific color palette for your feed
An excess of colors can disrupt the visual harmony of your Instagram feed. It’s recommended to stick to a palette of three to five hues. Before launching your account, carefully consider a color scheme.
What are the color schemes? They are combinations of colors that blend harmoniously when viewed together. To find your ideal palette, utilize the color wheel. It allows you to choose one base hue and automatically discover complementary colors. Another example of finding an aesthetic color scheme is getting inspiration from a specific image. For example, if you have a picture of a bird in a rainforest, pick colors from its vibrant plumage and natural surroundings. This choice, inspired by nature, can be visually appealing.
When planning your posts, ensure that your images align with your chosen color scheme.
Maintain a natural photo appearance
Many Instagram users tend to edit their photos excessively, resulting in an unnatural appearance. However, the primary goal of post-production should be to give your edited photos a natural, unedited look. To achieve this, opt for subtle adjustments in natural shades, avoiding extremes.
Additionally, you can explore professional presets available in Adobe Lightroom. These presets are made by experienced photographers and can help you create a natural look in your shots.
Experiment with graininess
Apply different artistic filters to your images while editing. For example, the graininess effect can be an excellent choice as it adds visual texture. With this filter, your pictures can get a vintage photography feel. The graininess effect can also evoke a sense of nostalgia and uniqueness. This gives your Instagram photos character, which sets them apart from the usual polished and glossy visuals often seen on the platform.
Embrace the retro style
Retro photography is a popular choice on Instagram as it blends nostalgia from the past with the appeal of the digital age, resulting in exceptional visuals. To apply this photo editing technique, you can combine elements from different film types, such as cross-processing or expired film effects. This approach allows you to create a memorable yet fresh appearance.
3 apps to edit photos for Instagram with ease
There are multiple solutions for photo editing; however, each provides unique options and features. Influencers recommend using several tools depending on your needs. Based on user reviews, the best apps for editing Instagram photos are the following:
With 50+ million downloads, Instasize offers all the features you might need for seamless photo editing. Among the main options are pre-made filters, color correction tools, artistic effects, and auto-cropping. This app also allows users to add text and apply captivating textures to their photos. You can also remove and change the background of your images. A standout feature of this app is its ability to generate AI avatars based on your photos.
With over 1 billion downloads and the distinction of being Google’s Choice for photo editing, Picsart simplifies image post-production, making it accessible for aspiring Instagrammers. This app offers a range of AI-powered tools, allowing you to create cartoonish avatars, replace objects, and generate funny GIFs from text input. Additionally, you can explore a vast library of Instagram templates, providing inspirational insights from influencers. Basic photo editing options are also readily available.
Snapseed has been one of the best photo editing apps for a long time. Currently, the app has 100+ million downloads from Google Play alone, providing a good user experience. With Snapseed, you can apply natural filters, experiment with 28 different photo effects, and make precise point corrections. It’s an excellent choice for enhancing selfies. Moreover, the app provides a seamless interface for quickly exporting images to Instagram.
Instagram is a visual-based platform that offers a variety of possibilities for creators. With well-fitted photos, you can enhance your feed, attract new followers, and become an influencer. To start editing pictures for Instagram, begin with general photo enhancement and then think about creative expression more. Mobile applications can be good assistance in this process.